24 February 2008

politics abounds at meditations

Meditations in an Emergency has been prolific as well lately.

Here's a sample . . .
"Why are Obama and Clinton running around Youngstown and its surrounding suburbs like it’s the newest thing since, well, whatever–you know that saying. It’s been so strange these recent days leading up to March 4th to see so much attention being paid to this area. Part of me, frankly, wants to give any of these people the finger."

"I’m torn between wanting to support someone who will actually help advocate and arrange for change in my community, because we desperately need it, and yet there is this part of me that says, “Don’t hold your breath, Chris, they want your vote, and then they’ll forget about this place, just like always."
another post reviews the Obama visit (with pictures):
"On my way out of the rally, I was stopped by a reporter from the Chicago Tribune, and interviewed about what I thought of Obama and his ideas for Youngstown. I was supportive, but in my own usual manner demanded more than I heard.

I don’t want this area to find itself just another manufacturing region again, like it was. I want green jobs, and a creative economy, and investment in education for the rural and urban poor. I want a community college for this valley."
Also, an announcement for the next Art Youngstown gallery show:
"Call to Artists for the The Second Exhibition

Artists (18 y.o. and older) may deliver their paintings, sculptures, films and other mediums of art for on Saturday, March 1st, 2008 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm & Sunday, March 2nd, 2008 from noon to 4:00 pm. Artists are asked to present only those items which are to be offered for sale and please do not include any items previously shown by Art Youngstown Inc.

Please visit ArtYoungstown.org for further details. For more information call 330-788-5678, or contact Robert Dubec at bdubec@zoominternet.net or 330-782-0346 or Judith Szabo at j_szabo@sbcglobal.net.

The Second Exhibition
Friday, March 14, 2008
7:00 pm to 10:30 pm

The Great Room at 25 E. Boardman Street, Ohio One Bldg.
The public is invited to attend free of charge.

Independent Film Night
Local filmmakers will present productions on Friday, March 21st, 2008 from 7:00 pm to 10:30 pm."

No comments: